Minutes of the Meetings of the Executive Committee of the Internet Society

20 April 2004
Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

Committee: Executive Committee of BoT
Document: excom-04-004
Revision:
Supersedes:
Status: Unconfirmed
Maintainer: Minutes taken by S. Bradner.
Access: Unrestricted

Present: Fred Baker (Chair)
Steve Crocker
Latif Ladid
Kees Neggers
Pindar Wong
Glenn Ricart
Lynn St. Amour (President)
Scott Bradner (Secretary)
Lynn DuVal (ISOC Director of Finance)

The ISOC ExCom met from 10:00 am to 12:03 pm (EDT) April 20, 2004 via conference call.

ISOC Board Meeting: Agenda Review and Update
Lynn discussed the agenda for the board meeting in Barcelona. She noted that there would be two board meetings as is normal for the summer meeting when there is a change of board members. The board discussed the process for selecting the chair of the board. Fred will be sending mail to the new and current board members asking for volunteers for the role of chair of the board.

IETF Restructuring Update
Lynn reported that Harald and Leslie were discussing the IETF restructuring with Bob Kahn and with the IESG and IAB. She also reported that both Leslie and Harald will be in Barcelona to talk with the ISOC board and Advisory Council.

PIR update
Lynn reviewed the March and April PIR board meetings. She reported that the PIR board has agreed on a charter for a strategy committee. This committee will include senior representatives from the PIR Board, PIR CEO, AFILIAS and the ISOC liaison to the PIR Board. The Committee is intended to enhance the cooperation of PIR, Afilias and ISOC, in recognition of their mutual interests in enhancing PIR’s operations. She noted that PIR was continuing the application process to get IRS recognition as a non-profit organization. Furthermore, in support of enhancing cooperation, Lynn reviewed with the ExComm the benefits of adding an Afilias liaison to the PIR Board, but she recommended that at this point in time we ask the PIR Chair to invite Afilias to sit in on the PIR Board meetings as an observer, effective immediately. The ExComm agreed and Lynn will communicate this to the PIR Chair.

Lynn noted that the terms of some of the PIR board members are up the end of this year and reminded the excomm that a process of selecting people for these slots needs to be undertaken and completed by the end of the year. She reported that new domain registrations at PIR are up but renewals are down. The current estimate is that the PIR net will be slightly down for the year but PIR expects to be able to provide the full budgeted amount to ISOC this year.

Governance Discussion
Lynn reported on the recent UN Global Forum and noted that reports on the meeting were sent to the board. Latif noted that documents were under development and that there might be an opportunity to assist in their development.

Staff/Ops Update
Lynn reported that David McAuley has accepted the position of ISOC Membership Director. She said that David was a good match to the requirements and that she was re-structuring some of the ISOC staff to report to David. Lynn also reported that the current ISOC systems administration infra-structures were outdated and that she would be soon approaching the ISOC board to get help on reviewing a proposed systems administration structure.

INET’04 & INET’05 Updates
Lynn reported that the program for INET 04 is well developed and looks very good. Registration is still low but IGC says that historically their experience shows that the registrations will pick up significantly nearer the event. She noted that the final hardcopy program was currently under review.

She reported that the ISOC staff and VPs had been discussing the possibility of holding another annual meeting in 2005. She noted that a number of people feel that the time for large Internet meetings may be over. She said that one of the options was to hold smaller regionalmeetings instead. Steve suggested that another approach might be to hold meetings that were focused on specific topics such as Internet governance. This will be discussed further at the upcoming Board meeting.

Elections Update
Glenn noted that he sent a report on the elections to the board. He commented that he felt that the candidates responses to the questions were quite good. He wondered if on-going board members should also answer the same questions for use within the board.

Glenn also urged that written guidelines for electioneering during the elections process be developed so that the confusion that happened this year will not reoccur. Glen accepted the task to work with George and Pindar to draft such guidelines.