Minutes of the Meetings of the Executive Committee of the Internet Society

17 November 2003
Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

Committee: Executive Committee of BoT
Document: excom-03-009
Revision:
Supersedes:
Status: Unconfirmed
Maintainer: Minutes taken by S. Bradner.
Access: Unrestricted

Present:
Fred Baker (Chair)
Latif Ladid
Kees Neggers
Glenn Ricart
Pindar Wong
Lynn St. Amour (President)
Lynn DuVal (ISOC Director of Finance)
Scott Bradner (Secretary).
Jim Galvin (VP Chapters) joined the call for the discussion on individual members

Apologies were received from Steve Crocker.

The ISOC ExCom met from 10:04 am to 12:10 pm (EST) November 17, 2003 via conference call.

I – Individual Membership Review
Jim Galvin reviewed the discussion of individual members that was held during the recent board meeting.

  1. the ISOC will retain a free class of members and add a class of fee-paying members
  2. voting for board members will start as soon as there are 500 paying members in excess of those provided to organizational members
  3. ISOC staff needs to develop the value proposition taking into account the general feeling of the board that people will tend to join the ISOC to support the ISOC goals rather than to get special member benefits. As part of this effort the staff needs to develop clear statements of the ISOC goals.

action item: Ask Alan to form a committee to formulate the appropriate motions to implement the elections process for paying members. The motions should be ready for consideration during the December board phone call.

II – Update on IETF AdvComm process given review at IETF
Fred reported that the AdvComm report will be posted as an Internet Draft later this week. He reported that the IESG and IAB saw the draft report last weekend and a summary was presented to the IETF during the plenary on Wednesday night. He noted that the options presented in the report all included the IETF creating an operation with direct accountability to the IETF, a unified budget, and contracting authority. The three options for are incorporation as a separate corporation, incorporation as a subsidiary corporation to the ISOC, or operation as part of the ISOC. The model chosen will have ramifications on the ISOC budget. Lynn will work with the IETF and IAB chairs and with Fred to work out what, if anything, should be included in the ISOC budget for next year to cover any ISOC obligations in a new IETF support structure.

Steve commented in discussion after the meeting that he has trouble seeing why the choice of model will have much affect on us, unless they choose to go it alone. And even in that case, the IETF will want ISOC support. He recommended putting the budget together on the assumption the IETF will choose option B, the middle course. If the IETF chooses a different course, the budget can be adjusted if necessary.

Lynn reported that the RFC Editor contract will be extended for an additional year. She also reported that she would be including a contingency line item in the budget for support of the IANA services that ICANN provides to the IETF.

III – 2004 Planning & Budgeting Review
Glenn and Lynn discussed ISOC building up an operational reserve and concluded that the Society does need to build up a reserve, but that it would be fine if that happened over a few years rather than trying to do so over the next year.

IV Miscellaneous/ AOB
Glenn reported that he has been catching up with Alan on how the Elections committee operated last year. He discussed the factors that go into developing the elections timetable. The timetable needs to be finalized by early December. Lynn suggested that the timetable be approved on the board mailing list and be ratified during the December board phone call.

Lynn reported that ICANN ALAC is thinking of designating some ISOC chapters as ICANN at large supporting organizations. She has concerns over the implications of any such move.

The Excom decided to have another phone call before the Board teleconference on December 15. The call was tentatively planned for December 8th.