This year we celebrate the Internet Society's 25th year of advocacy for an open, trusted Internet available to everyone, everywhere. Today the challenges to the open Internet have never been greater - and we need you to join us in confronting those challenges.
During this anniversary year, we don't just want to look back over the past 25 years - we want to apply that experience to look forward to the next 25 years on the Internet
Our plans include:
- 25 Under 25 - A new program to shine the light on young people between the ages of 13 and 25 who are using the Internet to make a significant impact on our society.
- Community reflections on the Internet - What were your first memories of the early Internet in your region? There’s a new community on Connect, our member discussion area, to collect and share these stories, told from your own personal perspective. We invite you to share your reflections.
- Investing in our community - Starting in the second quarter of 2017, we will deliver a set of tools and resources to help our Chapters promote their work for the Internet and build local and regional relationships.
- Internet Futures report - What will the future of the Internet look like? In 2016 we embarked on an initiative to explore the key trends and drivers that could change the Internet as we know it. We have posted our early findings online. The full Internet Futures report will be launched in September with insights into those key driving forces, as well as recommendations for the Internet we want in the future.
- Internet Hall of Fame – In September we will announce the 2017 class of inductees into the Internet Hall of Fame. A special ceremony will recognize individuals who have played an extraordinary role in the development and advancement of the Internet.
- Special edition of InterCommunity, 19 September – Our global "InterCommunity" membership meeting will kick-off with the presentation of the new class of Internet Hall of Fame inductees. Following the ceremony, we pass the program to our nodes around the world for community dialogue on topics from the Internet Futures report, along with a time of celebration. Save the date and watch for more information on InterCommunity coming soon.
- Internet Society Chapters join the celebration! Apply to be a "Celebration Node" during InterCommunity 2017. Deadline 30 June.
In this 25th anniversary year, we look forward to joining with you to build a better, stronger Internet Society across the globe for the future. Please join us on this journey into #thenext25.