The Internet Changes Everything
At the Internet Society, we believe that the internet has the power to change lives. That’s why we’ve launched the Beyond the Net Funding Programme, giving everyone the chance to make a positive difference and join us in our mission to provide open, secure internet access for all.
Our Beyond the Net Funding Programme gives Internet Society members the opportunity to contribute at a local or regional level through an Internet Society Chapter. We support bright ideas that work in partnership with local organisations to empower people around the world.
How Beyond the Net funding works
We first started funding community Internet projects back in 2005, and we’ve supported over 180 projects since then. These projects are planned and brought to life by our members.
We’ve helped fund projects covering everything from education and policy-making to the implementation of new standards and IXPs, from teaching technical skills to at-risk young people, to helping local engineers deploy leading technology.
Examples of successful projects include:
- Helping our Uganda Chapter promote child online safety
- Supporting research, such as the CoMIQuaL, the Collaborative Measurement of Internet Quality in Lebanon with our Lebanon Chapter
- Helping to increase internet access for visually impaired people by supporting our Armenian Chapter in creating an Internet Availability Center for the Cultural Center of the Armenian Society of Blind and Visually Impaired People
- Supporting our Ghana Chapter in providing training in Internet Governance and Standards
For more project stories click here
What funding is available?
The Beyond the Net funding programme provides financial support of up to 30 000 USD.
There are three sizes of grants:
1. Small projects you can finish in a short time
Up to 3 500 USD. These supports one-off projects that address a particular community need.
2. Medium-scale funding
Up to 10 000 USD. These projects will typically be completed within a year, focusing on lasting solutions to local challenges.
3. Large-scale funding
Up to 30 000 USD. These projects will typically be completed within two years and will tackle several challenges affecting the Internet Society community.
Do you an idea for a project?
Find out more about applying for Beyond the Net funding.
How to Apply for Beyond the Net Funding
To make your application as simple as possible, please read application guidelines before getting started.
Participate in one of the upcoming Info Sessions
Feel free to contact email@example.com or contact your Internet Society Chapter.