Promising to transform the ways we live, work, and play, the Internet of Things (IoT) offers impressive benefits but presents significant challenges.
Today billions of devices are connected to the Internet in what we call the "Internet of Things" or "IoT". These devices are already transforming our lives, but as they do, there are also serious challenges that must be addressed to maximize the potential benefits.
To understand the opportunities and challenges associated with the Internet of Things, the Internet Society published “The Internet of Things: An Overview - Understanding the Issues and Challenges of a More Connected World”, a whitepaper that examines many important aspects of the Internet of Things. This paper aims to serve as an informational resource about the Internet of Things and a launching off point for further discussions.
We encourage you to please read - and share - this document so that we can increase the level of dialogue about these important topics related to the Internet of Things.
Online Trust Alliance
In April 2017, the Online Trust Alliance (OTA) became a project of the Internet Society. Among the OTA's activities is their IoT Trust Framework. Please visit the OTA's IoT page for more information. Please also read this post from our CITO Olaf Kolkman explaining more about OTA and the Internet Society: Reaching the next level for Online Trust.
Key Blog Posts Related to IoT
- The Internet of Insecurity: Can Industry Solve It or Is Regulation Required? - Feb 2017
- The Internet of Things as an Attack Tool - Feb 2017
- Princeton's "War of The Lights" - The Pitfalls of Enterprise-Level IoT Projects - Dec 2016
- US NTIA Multistakeholder Process: Internet of Things (IoT) Security Upgradability and Patching - Nov 2016
- Tesla's Software Update To Enable Self-Driving Cars Both Delights And Concerns Me - Oct 2015
- Internet Society Releases Internet of Things (IoT) Overview Whitepaper: Understanding the Issues and Challenges of a More Connected World - Oct 2015