The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) is the world’s premier open Internet standards-development body. The Internet Society Fellowship to the IETF is available to technology professionals, advanced IT students, and other qualified individuals from developing and emerging economies.
- Travel, accommodation, meeting registration fees, and a ticket to the IETF social event;
- Introduction to a mentor from their area of interest to help them prepare for the meeting, network with other Experts, and successfully navigate the week-long meeting;
- A stipend for incidental expenses; and
- A certificate of participation.
Expectations for the Fellows
- Prepare in advance of the IETF meeting by reading relevant IETF documents and working- group discussions in their areas of interest;
- Attend the IETF newcomers tutorial, plenary sessions, and working-group sessions throughout the week;
- Share the experience and knowledge gained at the IETF with their local communities when they return home;
- Participate in the NGL programme participant network; and
- Assist with administrative aspects of the programme, including completion of a follow-up survey.
What are the benefits of the programme?
The key benefits of the ISOC Fellowship to the IETF programme are that it:
- Exposes and encourages participation in the IETF process from emerging and developing economies.
- Creates connections between new and established open Internet standards developers.
- Reinforces the importance of multi-disciplinary leaders in fostering the sustainability, robustness, security, stability and development of the Internet.
- Empower Internet professionals by broadening their experience and enabling their participation in open Internet standards development.
- Provides opportunities for Fellows to participate in the global Internet ecosystem and to interact and engage with the broader Internet engineering community.
- Increases the visibility of Fellows and prepares them to deliver more meaningful impacts at the local and regional level.
When are the Fellowships available?
Who should apply?
Internet Society Fellowships to the IETF are for Internet Society members from emerging or developing economies who have the technical skills and experience to contribute to the work of the IETF.
Before you apply
How to Apply
About the IETF
- Background of the Fellowships to the IETF
- Become a sponsor of the Fellowships to the IETF
- Become a mentor
- IL Programme Announcement Mailing List
- Top Ten Things to Know Before Your First IETF Meeting