The WSIS Forum 2016 will take place on 2-6 May 2016 in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Schedule of sessions involving Internet Society participants
- Remote participation information
- Resources and documents for WSIS Forum 2016 participants
- Internet Society Policy Briefs covering many of the WSIS Forum 2016 themes
- Internet Society blog posts related to WSIS
This year's WSIS Forum builds upon WSIS+10 Review of the UN General Assembly of the implementation of the WSIS outcomes (UNGA Resolution 70/125), which called for a close alignment between WSIS and its Action Lines, and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) processes. The WSIS Forum will therefore serve as an important forum for discussing the role of ICTs as a means of implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals and targets (UNGA Resolution A/70/1)."
About WSIS Forum
The WSIS Forum is an annual policy event co-organized by the ITU, UNESCO, UNCTAD and UNDP.
The forum was derived from paragraphs 109 and 110 of the Tunis Agenda:
109. The experience of, and the activities undertaken by, UN agencies in the WSIS process—notably ITU, UNESCO and UNDP—should continue to be used to their fullest extent. These three agencies should play leading facilitating roles in the implementation of the Geneva Plan of Action and organize a meeting of moderators/facilitators of action lines, as mentioned in the Annex.
110. The coordination of multi-stakeholder implementation activities would help to avoid duplication of activities. This should include,inter alia, information exchange, creation of knowledge, sharing of best practices, and assistance in developing multi-stakeholder and public-private partnerships.
Please see the ITU website for more information about the WSIS Forum 2016.